The state Division of Gaming Enforcement has given Revel Casino Hotel the go-ahead to end gambling operations Sept. 2.

Gambling operations are scheduled to end at 6 a.m., according to an order signed Tuesday by Division Director David Rebuck.

Some table games are slated to end Sept. 1, the order said.

Last week, the parent company of the bankrupt mega-resort said Revel’s hotel will close Sept. 1.

About 2,800 Revel employees will lose their jobs when the casino-hotel shuts.

At a hearing in bankruptcy court Monday, John Cunningham, an attorney for Revel, said the company is still looking for a buyer and hopes to auction the property off. But he said the property is hemorrhaging money — more than $1 million per week — and must close to stanch losses while the search continues.

Revel, which hasn’t turned a profit since opening to huge fanfare in April 2012, has been plagued by crushing debt, management problems, increasing regional casino competition and a poor architectural layout, analysts say.

Two other Boardwalk casinos — Showboat Casino Hotel, and Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino — are scheduled to shut by summer’s end. The three casino hotels collectively employ about 5,900 people, nearly one-fifth of the work force for Atlantic City’s casinos.

Gov. Chris Christie announced last week that he plans to convene a bipartisan summit Sept. 8 for politicians, officials and other stakeholders to discuss the city’s future.

Contact Reuben Kramer:

609-272-7239

Local news editor at the Press of Atlantic City. SUNY Geneseo and Syracuse University grad. New Jersey transplant.