However, don't let that stop you from pursuing a start-up or joining a small company. Check out these five ways to generate capital for businesses in a slow-moving economy.
1. SBA Express. The Small Business Association provides several avenues for borrowing money. SBA Express allows bank-qualified business owners to borrow up to $150,000 without filing the typical SBA loan application. Plus, owners will receive a loan decision within 36 hours.
2. Community banks. Community banks actually have the capacity to be flexible with lending terms where large corporate banks do not. Find local lenders by reaching out to the Independent Bankers Association of America, which has access to 5,000 community banks.
3. Investor conferences. Investor conferences connect start-ups, small businesses and owners looking to raise capital with independent brokers, investment bankers, fund managers and angel investors. Through Financial Services Exchange, Inc. (FSX) conferences, Broker Dealer Principals and other funding sources have connected with companies to help raise billions of dollars over the course of the 29-year history of FSX events.
FSX conferences combine formal company presentations with unstructured, one-on-one face time. Participating fund managers say the latter is where real connections occur. Learn more about the financial opportunities at conferences by visiting fsx1.com.
4. Small Business Investment Companies (SBICs). SBICs provide equity capital, long-term loans and management assistance to small businesses that qualify. Though affiliated with the SBA, SBICs are privately owned and managed investment funds. Currently, there are more than 300 licensed SBICs.
5. Crowdfunding. Crowdfunding networks like Kickstarter and Indiegogo have raised some serious cash from individual investors. If you have an innovative idea or project, develop a reasonable funding goal and timeline and see which investors support you and pledge funding. Remember, projects must meet their funding goals before the time runs out, or else no actual money is received.