TownNews.com Content Exchange

Jay Cutler’s season is over, as the Bears quarterback will undergo surgery Saturday to repair his labrum.

John Fox made the announcement Thursday and said that Cutler and the team exhausted every option involving rehab to avoid surgery.

"He’s tough. Like I said, he waited the two weeks, a lot of rehab," Fox said. "They’re in there all hours of the morning and afternoon and evening. There were some different treatments that I’m not going to get into all the exacts. But typically things you try to do to avoid surgery and they didn’t take for him like they were expecting. And we’re at the surgical mode at this point."

Cutler suffered the injury in the Bears’ Week 11 loss to the Giants. He did start and finish that game.

This season, Cutler started five games, missing time earlier in the year with a thumb injury. He haters four touchdowns and five interceptions and had a passer rating of 78.1.

“I know he’s extremely competitive," Fox said. "I think he’s been very tough-minded when he’s had to deal with things, even in our tenure here, different surgeries, the hamstring, the thumb and now the shoulder. I think he’s handled that as well as most guys I’ve ever been associated with.”

Cutler's future with the organization is uncertain. He is under contract through 2020, but has no more guaranteed money in the six-year deal Phil Emery signed him to following the 2013 season. Cutler would make $15 million if he was on the roster next season and $16 million against the cap. There would only be $2 million of dead cap if the Bears released Cutler, per Spotrac.

"Like everything else we do, basically we won’t until that time," Fox said about any future decision. "I think right now we have five games left and all our focus for myself, the coaching staff and the players is on San Fran. You know, offseason is the offseason. We’re not there yet."

Cutler is the 16th Bears player to go on injured reserve, joining Kyle Long, Zach Miller, Danny Trevathan, Kevin White and Lamarr Houston, among others.

Matt Barkley will continue as the starter for the Bears with David Fales as his backup.

This article originally ran on profootballweekly.com.