Eight teams will qualify for the Cape-Atlantic League Tournament, which starts Monday. The three division winners and three second-place finishers earn automatic berths. Two at-large spots also are available. This is weekly update of the eight teams (in order of how we would seed them) that have the inside track for the tournament.The CAL basketball committee is scheduled to meet today. The seedings should be announced today or Friday.
1. Cedar Creek (18-3): The CAL United Division champion
2. Middle Township (18-5): The CAL National Division champion. Panthers' only CAL loss was at Cedar Creek
3. Holy Spirit (17-4): Spartans beat Atlantic City and Millville twice and own a 15-point win over St. Joseph in January.
4. Wildwood Catholic (17-5): Crusaders have not been at their best lately but still have wins over St. Joe and Cedar Creek and impressive non-conference defeat of Washington Township.
5/6. St. Joseph (15-6)/Millville (13-5): St. Joe gets an at-large bid. Millville finished second in the CAL American Division. The teams play at 4 p.m. today. The winner is No. 5. The loser is No. 6.
7. Ocean City (14-5): If the Red Raiders beat Bridgeton Friday, they will finish tied for second in the CAL National Division with Lower Cape May Regional. But Lower Cape May earns the automatic bid because of the Rose Bowl rule. Still, Ocean City earns at at-large bid thanks to wins over Mainland Regional and Atlantic City.
8. Lower Cape May (13-8): Caper Tigers get the second spot in the CAL National Division.
1. Wildwood Catholic (18-4): Crusaders won the CAL United Division and beat Holy Spirit on Feb. 1.
2. Holy Spirit (17-5): Spartans won the CAL American Division and own wins over St. Augustine and Atlantic City.
3. St. Augustine Prep (19-2): Hermits are the CAL National Division champion and beat Atlantic City on Jan. 31.
4. Atlantic City (16-5): Vikings beat Wildwood Catholic and Holy Spirit but late-season losses to St. Augustine, Spirit and Vineland drop them to No. 4.
5. Millville (15-4): Thunderbolts' only losses are to Atlantic City and Holy Spirit.
6. Mainland Regional (13-9): Mustangs grab an at-large bid.
7. St. Joseph (15-9): Wildcats finished second in the CAL United Division. Wildcats earn the No. 7 seed with two wins over Cedar Creek. Oakcrest lost to Cedar Creek last Friday.
8. Oakcrest (11-10): Falcons finished second in the CAL National Division.