Colleen Callahan stakes claim as best local swimmer - ever
Colleen Callahan will attend and swim for the University of Tennessee.
- Colleen Callahan by the numbers
8: Number of individual state titles she won — the most by any New Jersey girls swimmer ever.
4: Number of times Callahan has been named a high school All-American.
2:00.72: Callahan’s meet-record time in the 200-yard individual medley at the Meet of Champions.
1:01.29: Callahan’s MOC record time in the 100 breaststroke.
1: The number of individual races Callahan lost in her entire high school career.A 100 butterfly race in a dual meet in 2010.
14-1: Atlantic City’s record in 2010 — Callahan’s freshman season. She led the Vikings to the first South Jersey title in the program’s history.
- Five memorable Colleen Callahan moments
1. Record debut at Hackney: Callahan burst on the scene and begins her record-breaking career as a freshman at the Hackney Invitational on Jan. 9, 2010. She becomes the first swimmer in 15 years to break the 100 breaststroke record of 1 minute, 14.98 seconds at the Hackneys, which was set by Mainland Regional’s Julia Mason in 1995. Callahan wins in 1:12.97.
2. Swims best when not feeling at her best: Callahan cements her status as the state’s best swimmer as a sophomore on March 6, 2011 when despite not feeling well she wins the 200 individual medley and 100 breaststroke in record times.
3. Upset relay win at Meet of Champions: Callahan swims a 28.43 breaststroke leg to spark the Vikings 200 medley relay team to victory at the Meet of Champions on June 5, 2012. Callahan later wins the 100 breaststroke in a meet-record time of 1:01.29
4. Competing in the Olympic Trials: Callahan swims in two events in Omaha, Neb. in late June 2012. She finishes 40th of 118 swimmers in the 200-meter breaststroke. Also finished 45th of 152 swimmers in the 100 breaststroke.
5. Two state titles, four straight years: Callahan caps her remarkable career on March 3 by winning the 200 indivdual medley and 100 breaststroke at the MOC for the fourth straight year. Callahan’s 200 individual medley time of 2:00.72 in a meet record.
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:15 pm
South Jersey Sports | News, Blogs, Photos, Scores & More - PressofAtlanticCity.com,
Southern New Jersey High School Sports - HSLive.me,
Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:15 pm.