These rankings are determined by The Press high school sports staff based on staff observation, research and interviews with players and coaches. The rankings are of wrestlers who compete for schools in Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland, and southern Ocean counties.
Records are based on results reported to The Press. E-mail John O'Kane at firstname.lastname@example.org with any corrections.
St. Augustine Prep's Reid White won a 2-0 decision against two-time District 29 placer Dustin Zuzulock of West Deptford on Saturday and added pins of 20 and 36 seconds in his other two matches. Vineland's Steven Bergamo made his season debut on Saturday with two forfeits and a pin. Absegami freshman James Giegold has picked up bonus points in nine of his 10 wins this season.
1. Reid White, St. Augustine Prep (8-0)
2. Steven Bergamo, Vineland (3-0)
3. James Giegold, Absegami (10-1)
Holy Spirit's Pat D'Arcy is 9-0 since returning from the Beast of the East with six pins. Lower Cape May's Eric Pruszinski lost a 6-0 decision to Cherokee's Alex Baider on Saturday. Baider is a two-time District 27 champ and finished sixth in the state last season.
1. Pat D'Arcy, Holy Spirit (14-2
2. Eric Pruszinski, Lower Cape May Regional (11-3)
3. Jimmy Knoeller, Southern Regional (12-2)
Southern Regional's Chris Crane won a 2-1 decision against Region 6 runner-up Owen McClave of Toms River South on Jan. 8. Crane lost his first match of the season on Saturday, falling 1-0 to District 21 runner-up Jimmy Slendorn of Howell in Southern's 28-19 win. Middle Township's Kenny Dale won the Red Bank Buc Classic on Saturday for his first career title. Absegami's Chris D'Alfonso has won six matches in a row with four pins during the stretch.
1. Chris Crane, Southern Regional (10-1)
2. Kenny Dale, Middle Township (6-0)
3. Chris D'Alfonso, Absegami (10-2)
Southern Regional's Andrew Tonneson handed Howell's Anthony Gagliano his first loss of the season on Saturday with a 5-4 decision. Absegami's Yanni Patsaros has won six straight matches since losing in the Art Marinelli Tournament finals. Mainland Regional's Justin Bishop debuts in the rankings riding a nine-match win streak.
1. Andrew Tonneson, Southern Regional (11-3)
2. Yanni Patsaros, Absegami (11-1)
3. Justin Bishop, Mainland Regional (13-1)
Southern Regional's Bryan Brown won a 3-1 decision against Howell's Kris Lindemann on Saturday. St. Augustine Prep's Ed Donahue won a 9-4 decision against District 27 runner-up Jimmy Goldschmidt of Cherokee on Saturday and had pins of 25 and 28 seconds in two other bouts. Middle Township's Brandon Curtis finished second in the Red Bank Buc Classic on Saturday.
1. Bryan Brown, Southern Regional (10-2)
2. Ed Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (7-2)
3. Brandon Curtis, Middle Township (12-1)
The only weight class in the rankings with all three wrestlers coming from Shore Conference schools. Southern Regional's Matt Wilhelm had a major decision in the team's win against Howell on Saturday, accounting for one of only five combined bonus points in the match.
1. Matt Wilhelm, Southern Regional (10-2)
2. Tom Poklikuha, Pinelands Regional (9-0)
3. Connor Garrity, Lacey Township (12-0)
Southern Regional senior Zach Wilhelm won a 7-1 decision against District 21 placer Jack Rada in the Rams' 28-19 win against Howell on Saturday. St. Augustine Prep's Jarred Hodges won a 5-4 decision against District 27 champ and state qualifier D.J. Mele of Cherokee in a quad Saturday.
1. Zach Wilhelm, Southern Regional (11-1)
2. Brandon Bower, Holy Spirit (10-2)
3. Jarred Hodges, St. Augustine Prep (8-0)
St. Augustine Prep fans don't have much longer to wait for the New Jersey debut of Jack Clark. If all goes according to plan, the University of North Carolina-bound senior will wrestle one week from today against against Oakcrest. Southern Regional's Nick Racanelli won a 6-1 decision against Howell's David Nocks on Saturday. Lacey Township's Kyle Brandt had a pair of pins on Saturday. Brandt won a 5-0 decision and was one of two Lions to win bouts in a 64-8 loss to Shore Conference power Howell on Friday.
1. Jack Clark, St. Augustine Prep (0-0)
2. Nick Racanelli, Southern Regional (10-2)
3. Kyle Brandt, Lacey Township (11-3)
Atlantic City's Joe Cutugno is still unbeaten this season and has six pins in nine matches. Nick Clark won all three of his matches on Saturday as St. Augustine Prep swept a tough quad with Lower Cape May, Cherokee and West Deptford. Pinelands Regional's James Mattina bumped up to 170 and picked up a 45-second pin in a loss to Manasquan on Saturday. In three duals this season, Mattina is 3-0 with three pins.
1. Joe Cutugno, Atlantic City (9-0)
2. Nick Clark, St. Augustine Prep (10-5)
3. James Mattina, Pineland Regional (8-2)
Kellen Whitney currently leads the CAL with 16 wins, picking up bonus points in 15 of them. Southern Regional's Gerardo Jorge lost a 2-1 decision in double overtime to District 21 champ and Region 6 runner-up Joey Schultz of Howell on Saturday. Jorge won a 3-1 decision against District 24 runner-up Antrez Clagon of Toms River South on Jan. 8. Egg Harbor Township's James Ingersol went 3-0 with two first-period pins at the Collingswood Duals on Friday and Saturday.
1. Kellen Whitney, Hammonton (16-0)
2. Gerardo Jorge, Southern Regional (8-3)
3. James Ingersol, Egg Harbor Township (9-1)
Ocean City's Cooper Gallagher had a forfeit and two first-period pins on Saturday. Gallagher has six pins and five forfeits this season as teams try to avoid him in the lineup. St. Augustine Prep's James Bennett had three first-period pins on Saturday in a quad sweep of Lower Cape May, Cherokee and West Deptford. Vineland's Taiwahn Cosby had two forfeits and a pin on Saturday.
1. Cooper Gallagher, Ocean City (12-0)
2. James Bennett, St. Augustine Prep (12-2)
3. Taiwahn Cosby, Vineland (5-1)
The only weight class in the rankings with three unbeaten wrestlers. All nine of Millville senior Ed Shockley's pins this season have come in the first period. Lower Cape May's Cory Damiana currently has 99 career wins and could pick up No. 100 tonight in Lower's match tonight at Cedar Creek. St. Joseph's C.J. LaFragola has six pins this season.
1. Ed Shockley, Millville (15-0)
2. Cory Damiana, Lower Cape May (14-0)
3. C.J. LaFragola, St. Joseph (10-0)
Millville's Obi Kali has won 10 matches in a row since losing in a season-opening tournament. Kali went 3-0 with a forfeit and pins of 15 and 37 seconds on Saturday. Southern Regional's Jesse Bauta had the biggest win of the night on Saturday as the Rams beat Howell 28-19. Bauta picked up three of Southern's four total bonus points with a first-period pin of District 21 champ Kyle Cocozzo. Absegami's Chris Henchy is 6-0 with four pins and two forfeits since Jan. 1.
1. Obi Kali, Millville (11-1)
2. Jesse Bauta, Southern Regional (9-4)
3. Chris Henchy, Absegami (12-0)
Holy Spirit's Ray Ellis has pinned his last five opponents in a row with four of the five coming in the first period. Lower Cape May's Doug Flitcroft and St. Augustine Prep's Tom Lynd flip-flopped this week at 2 and 3 in the rankings as Flitcroft beat Lynd in an ultimate tiebreaker on Saturday.
1. Ray Ellis, Holy Spirit (8-0)
2. Doug Flitcroft, Lower Cape May (14-2)
3. Tom Lynd, St. Augustine Prep (10-2)