These rankings are determined by The Press high school sports staff based on staff observation, research and interviews with players and coaches. The rankings are of wrestlers who compete for schools in Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland, and southern Ocean counties.
Records are based on results reported to The Press. E-mail John O'Kane at
email@example.com with any corrections.
Holy Spirit's Pat D'Arcy is 15-0 with 10 pins since Jan. 1. D'Arcy won by forfeit in the Spartans' first-round South Jersey Non-Public B playoff win on Monday. Vineland's Josh Pineda has won 12 of his last 13 matches. St. Augustine Prep freshman Colin Donahue is 7-0 vs. Cape-Atlantic League National Conference competition.
1. Pat D'Arcy, Holy Spirit (27-3)
2. Josh Pineda, Vineland (19-3)
3. Colin Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (19-11)
Vineland's Steven Bergamo won a 10-1 major decision against Lower Cape May Regional's Zach Hicks in a regular-season match Monday. Middle Township's Ronray Harris has 11 pins this season and is 6-0 against CAL National wrestlers.
1. Steven Bergamo, Vineland (12-1)
2. Ronray Harris, Middle Township (22-2)
3. Chris Crane, Southern Regional (16-7)
St. Augustine Prep's Tom Gattinella has won 20 matches in a row. Gattinella won a 14-4 major decision against Paulsboro's Mike Morina on Saturday. Lower Cape May Regional's Zach Valcarce won a 6-5 decision against Vineland's Daniel DeTetta on Monday to lead the Caper Tigers over the Fighting Clan.
1. Tom Gattinella, St. Augusine Prep (27-3)
2. Zach Valcarce, Lower Cape May (23-5)
3. Kenny Dale, Middle Township (21-4)
Buena's Regional three-time District 32 and Region 8 champ Billy Ward has been dominant of late. Ward is 15-0 with 10 pins since Jan. 1. Ward won by forfeit in Buena's first-round playoff loss on Monday. St. Augustine Prep's Ed Donahue lost a 5-0 decision to District 29 champ Sam Morina of Paulsboro.
1. Billy Ward, Buena Regional (23-3)
2. Andrew Tonneson, Southern Regional (20-9)
3. Ed Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (21-9)
Egg Harbor Township's Shawn Bryant and St. Augustine Prep's Jarred Hodges each picked up big wins this week against district placewinners. Bryant won a 7-2 decision against District 31 placer John Rizzo of Vineland on Feb. 6 and Hodges an 8-7 decision against District 29 placer Juan Rivera of Paulsboro on Saturday.
1. Zach Wilhelm, Southern Regional (22-7)
2. Shawn Bryant, Egg Harbor Township (21-3)
3. Jarred Hodges, St. Augustine Prep (23-7)
Jack Campana and Southern Regional host Shore Conference rival Toms River North today in a South Jersey Group IV semifinal. The top-seeded Rams haven't wrestled since Feb. 2. Cedar Creek's Eric Hanusewicz is 10-1 in the CAL this season. Keith Mahoney won a 10-6 decision against Toms River North on Monday in Millville's first round playoff loss to Toms River North.
1. Jake Campana, Southern Regional (18-8)
2. Eric Hanusewicz, Cedar Creek (22-4)
3. Keith Mahoney, Millville (25-3)
Two-time District 32 champ Dillan Berghof of Buena Regional hasn't wrestled since Feb. 2 as he recovers from a labrum injury. Berghof said he will be back in time for the start of districts next week. District 32 champ Jack Willette of Absegami returns to the rankings following a 5-2 decision over Millville's Rico Rivera on Feb. 6.
1. Dillan Berghof, Buena Regional (17-2)
2. Nick Racanelli, Southern Regional (17-10)
3. Jack Willette, Absegami (21-7)
Mainland Regional's John Fitzpatrick went 2-0 this week with a 9-5 win against Atlantic City's Joe Cutugno on Feb. 6 and a first-period pin in the team's nonconference loss to Rancocas Valley on Monday. Southern Regional's Chris Serpico and Middle Township's John Mallett have each been off since Feb. 2.
1. Chris Serpico, Southern Regional (18-5)
2. John Mallett, Middle Township (25-5)
3. John Fitzpatrick, Mainland Regional (25-4)
Hammonton's Kellen Whitney bumped up to 170 and picked up a 12-4 decision in Monday's first round South Jersey Group III playoff win against Moorestown. Whitney has picked up bonus point in 20 of his 23 wins this season. Atlantic City's Cesar Balmaceda won a 20-7 major decision against Mainland Regional's Tim Lenzsch to improve to 13-0 in the CAL this season.
1. Kellen Whitney, Hammonton (23-2)
2. Cesar Balmaceda, Atlantic City (26-0)
3. Gerardo Jorge, Southern Regional (20-6)
St. Augustine Prep's Tyler Sentman had a first-period pin in the Hermits' nonconference loss to Paulsboro on Saturday. Sentman and the Hermits host Bishop Ahr today in a South Jersey Non-Public A semifinal. Ocean CIty's Cooper Gallagher has won 15 of his last 16 matches.
1. Tyler Sentman, St. Augustine Prep (27-3)
2. Luke Fernandez, Lacey Township (27-1)
3. Cooper Gallagher, Ocean City (23-2)
Hammonton's David Williams won a 13-4 major decision against District 26 champ Tyreek Smith in the Blue Devils' first-round playoff win against Moorestown on Monday. Williams is one of just three unbeaten area wrestlers. Oakcrest's John Benard lost a 9-1 major decision to St. Augustine Prep's Tyler Sentman on Feb. 6.
1. David Williams, Hammonton (28-0)
2. James Bennett, St. Augustine Prep (13-8)
3. John Benard, Oakcrest (22-6)
Millville's Ed Shockley won a 9-5 decision against Toms River North's David Mitchell in the Thunderbolts' first-round playoff loss Monday. Shockley is 14-1 against CAL opponents this season with the lone loss coming to Hammonton's David Williams on the opening day of the season. Hammonton's Brandon Beebe won a 5-0 decision against Moorestown's Eli Etienne in the Blue Devils' first-round South Jersey Group III playoff win on Monday.
1. Ed Shockley, Millville (26-2)
2. Cory Damiana, Lower Cape May (24-5)
3. Brandon Beebe, Hammonton (23-5)
Egg Harbor Township's Nigel Toussaint had a pair of second-period pins this week and now stands at 16-0 this season at 220 pounds. Lacey Township's Pat Schinder had a pin in the Lions' 30-29 loss to Cherry Hill West on Monday.
1. Nigel Toussaint, Egg Harbor Township (24-2)
2. Josh Johnson, Ocean City (22-4)
3. Pat Schinder, Lacey Township (27-2)
St. Joseph's Roy Lucas won by forfeit Monday as the Wildcats beat Gloucester Catholic. Holy Spirit's Ray Ellis debuts in the rankings as one of the hottest upperweights in the area. Ellis has won 16 of his last 17 matches, including a 9-5 decision against Hammonton's Robert Frederico on Feb. 6.
1. Roy Lucas, St. Joseph (27-0)
2. Ray Ellis, Holy Spirit (23-6)
3. Robert Frederico, Hammonton (26-3)