These rankings are determined by The Press high school sports staff based on staff observation, research and interviews with players and coaches. The rankings are of wrestlers who compete for schools in Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland, and southern Ocean counties.
Records are based on results reported to The Press. E-mail John O'Kane at
email@example.com with any corrections.
Holy Spirit's Pat D'Arcy finished seventh in the Beast of the East. Vineland's Josh Pineda returned to action on Saturday and had three pins. Lower Cape May Regional's Eric Pruzinski lost a 4-1 decision to District 32 champ D'Arcy on Dec. 2 after taking second at the Marinelli Christmas Tournament.
1. Pat D'Arcy, Holy Spirit (15-3)
2. Josh Pineda, Vineland (4-1)
3. Eric Pruzinski, Lower Cape May Regional (8-4)
Middle Township's Ronray Harris won his third Overbrook Tournament title and was named Most Outstanding Wrestler in the process. Millville's Zach Goranson is 5-0 against Cape-Atlantic League wrestlers this season.
1. Ronray Harris, Middle Township (7-0)
2. Zach Goranson, Millville (9-2)
3. Chris Crane, Southern Regional (8-5)
St. Augustine Prep's Tom Gattinella won all four of his matches on Saturday to eclipse the 100-win plateau. Gattinella, the 11th wrestler in Prep history to win 100 matches, won the Garden State Classic Tournament at Princeton.
1. Tom Gattinella, St. Augusine Prep (11-3)
2. Zach Valcarce, Lower Cape May Regional (9-3)
3. Daniel DeTetta, Vineland (6-7)
Three-time District 32 and Region 8 champ Billy Ward of Buena Regional was upset in the semifinals and took third at the Battle at the Beach tournament in Delaware. Southern Regional's Andrew Tonneson took third at the Robin Leff Classic and fourth at Governor Mifflin (Pa.). St. Augustine Prep's Ed Donahue won the Garden State Classic as the Prep won the overall team title.
1. Billy Ward, Buena Regional (9-3)
2. Andrew Tonneson, Southern Regional (14-4)
3. Ed Donahue, St. Augustine Prep (9-6)
Southern Regional's Zach Wilhelm took eighth place at the Beast of the East tournament. Egg Harbor Township's Shawn Bryant has won 11 matches in a row (including winning the Marinelli Tournament title) since dropping a pair of matches in the team's season-opening quad meet.
1. Zach Wilhelm, Southern Regional (11-5)
2. Shawn Bryant, Egg Harbor Township (12-2)
3. Chaz Bramble, Buena Regional (6-4)
Southern Regional's Jake Campana finished third in the Robin Leff Tournament at Southern and fourth in the Governor Mifflin tournament (Pa.). Pinelands Regional's Tom Poklikuha finished third in the Neptune Classic. Cedar Creek's Eric Hanusewicz won the Clipper Classic at Clayton.
1. Jake Campana, Southern Regional (10-4)
2. Tom Poklikuha, Pinelands Regional (9-3)
3. Eric Hanusewicz, Cedar Creek (10-2)
Buena Regional's Dillan Berghof won the Battle at the Beach tournament at Indian River High School in Delaware. Southern Regional's Nick Racanelli took third at 138 pounds at the Governor Mifflin tournament (Pa.) and has been splitting time with Jake Campana at 138/145.
1. Dillan Berghof, Buena Regional (8-2)
2. Nick Racanelli, Southern Regional (11-5)
3. Ed Sooy, Holy Spirit (10-4)
Southern Regional's Chris Serpico finished second in the Robin Leff Classic at Southern and at Governor Mifflin (Pa.) Absegami's Jack Willette won three matches on Saturday as the Braves competed in the Rock Yard Duals at Council Rock North (Pa.) Middle's John Mallett won the Overbrook Tournament title.
1. Chris Serpico, Southern Regional (10-4)
2. Jack Willette, Absegami
3. John Mallett, Middle Township (10-2)
Hammonton's Kellen Whitney won the South Jersey Wrestling Association tournament in Wildwood and the Overbrook Tournament as the Blue Devils won the team title. Southern Regional's Gerardo Jorge finished second at the Robin Leff Classic and third at Governor Mifflin (Pa.).
1. Kellen Whitney, Hammonton (9-1)
2. Gerardo Jorge, Southern Regional (10-4)
3. Joe DiBuonaventura, Holy Spirit (4-3)
St. Augustine Prep's Tyler Sentman won the Garden State Classic at Princeton and took third in the Mustang Classic at Brick Memorial. Atlantic City's Cesar Balmaceda won the South Jersey Wrestling Association tournament in Wildwood. Lacey Township's Luke Fernandez won the TCNJ Pride tournament.
1. Tyler Sentman, St. Augustine Prep (11-2)
2. Cesar Balmaceda, Atlantic City (10-0)
3. Luke Fernandez, Lacey Township (13-1)
Hammonton's David Williams became the fourth wrestler in school history to win 100 matches on Saturday at the South Jersey Duals. St. Augustine Prep's James Bennett won a 9-5 decision against Vineland's Steffen Rodriguez earlier this season. Rodriguez won five matches (four by pin) on Saturday as the Fighting Clan competed in Virginia.
1. David Williams, Hammonton (10-0)
2. James Bennett, St. Augustine Prep (8-6)
3. Steffen Rodriguez, Vineland (10-2)
Millville's Ed Shockley won the Overbrook Tournament and has only one loss this season, a 6-3 decision to state qualifier David Williams of Hammonton. Shockley has won 11 straight matches since the loss. Lower Cape May's Cory Damiana and Vineland's Tiawahn Cosby have split two meetings this season. Cosby won the Paulsboro Tournament.
1. Ed Shockley, Millville (12-1)
2. Cory Damiana, Lower Cape May Regional (8-4)
3. Tiawahn Cosby, Vineland (10-2)
State placewinner Roy Lucas won the heavyweight title at the Clipper Classic at Clayton but eventually will get down to 220 for the postseason. Egg Harbor Township's Nigel Toussaint won the Marinelli Tournament and is still unbeaten.
1. Roy Lucas, St. Joseph (11-0)
2. Nigel Toussaint, Egg Harbor Township (14-0)
3. Patrick Schinder, Lacey Township (13-1)
Southern Regional senior won the title at the Robin Leff Classic. Hammonton's Robert Frederico won the South Jersey Wrestling Association tournament at Wildwood and the Overbrook Holiday Tournament.
1. Cody Smead, Southern Regional (9-4)
2. Robert Frederico, Hammonton (10-0)
3. Josh Johnson, Ocean City (9-2)