Bruce Woodall shot a 2-under-par 69 to help North Carolina take a four-stroke lead after the first round of the United States Golf Association's Men's State Team Championship on Wednesday in Galloway Township.
The tournament at Galloway National Golf Club features three-man teams for all 50 states, plus Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico. There will be three rounds of stroke play, with each state's top two scores counting toward the team score each round.
The first round was suspended due to darkness, so one golfer each from New Jersey and Ohio will have to finish today.
The tournament continues today and concludes Friday.
1. North Carolina 69-71-140 (Bruce Woodall, Yanceyville 35-34-69; Paul Simson, Raleigh 33-38-71; Scott Harvey, Greensboro 33-40-73)
2. California 70-74-144 (Paul Misko, Thousand Oaks 33-37-70; John McClure, Los Angeles 34-40-74; Andrew Biggadike, Belmont 36-39-75)
2. Iowa 70-74-144 (Jon Olson, Ankeny 36-34-70; Gene Elliott, West Des Moines 37-37-74; Dennis Bull, Norwalk 39-40-79)
2. Pennsylvania 72-72-144 (Nathan Smith, Pittsburgh 37-35-72; Andrew Mason, Huntingdon Valley 35-37-72; Sean Knapp, Oakmont 36-36-72)
5. South Carolina 71-74-145 (Steve Liebler, Irmo 35-36-71; Todd White, Moore 38-36-74; Josh Branyon, Honea Path 44-38-82)
5. New York 72-73-145 (Michael Miller, Brewster 33-39-72; Max Buckley, Rye 37-36-73; Joseph Saladino, Huntington 38-41-79)
5. Georgia 70-75-145 (Mark Strickland, Woodstock 34-36-70; David Noll Jr, Dalton 35-40-75; William Mitchell, Roswell 38-39-77)
5. Missouri 72-73-145 (Brad Nurski, St. Joseph 36-36-72; Nick Wilson, Columbia 35-38-73; Richard Berkmeyer, Wildwood 34-39-73)
5. Louisiana 71-74-145 (Matt Nicholas, Lake Charles 33-38-71; Patrick Christovich, New Orleans 37-37-74; Robby McWilliams, Bossier City 37-39-76)
New Jersey 72-80-152 (Brian Komline, Bridgewater 39-37-76; Niall Handley, West Caldwell 38-43-81; Mike Stamberger, Brielle 41-suspended)