Out-of-state powerboat racers dominated the action at Sunday's day two of the 24th annual Daniel J. Murphy Jr. Memorial Regatta on Lake Lenape in Mays Landing.
Tabatha Carr of Egg Harbor Township finished third in a penalty-filled 2.5-litre stock hydroplanes final. The 20-year-old Carr was also the riding mechanic for Tom Petterson of Blairstown in Warren County, who finished third in Lap Dancer in the Jersey Speed Skiffs division. The riding mechanic is the second person in the boat in the Skiffs division. All the other divisions have only one person in the boat.
Carr's 2.5-litre hydroplane Fast Times II broke a wing in the front of the boat Saturday, and she ran without it on Sunday.
"I had a pretty good day today. I ran as well as I could," Carr said. "The wing regulates the air under the hull. It's a lot different without the wing, because you can't control the boat. Sometimes you have to run it a little slower.
"I enjoy being a riding mechanic. I watch the course and the other boats. I time the (running) start and watch the gauges."
Zaccaru, piloted by Jimmy Stewart of Annapolis, Md., with riding mechanic Peggy Ewancio, his sister, won the Skiffs category.
Kiss, with driver Warren Brown and riding mechanic Warren Brown IV, his son, was running third in the Jersey Speed Skiffs final, but the boat had an electric wire jump off its hinge. Brown shut the boat down. Brown IV opened up the engine and reattached the wire within seconds, but Kiss finished sixth and last.
"It was a rough water," said the elder Brown, guessing that the unsteady water may have caused the wire's connection to come loose. "I'm disappointed, but this is still the best season we've ever had."
Contact Guy Gargan:
Jersey Speed Skiffs
1. JS72, Zaccaru, Jimmy Stewart, Annapolis, Md.; 2. JS40, Pacifier, Patrick Dender, Neptune City; 3. JS77, Lap Dancer, Tom Petterson, Blairstown.
2.5-litre stock hydroplanes
1. S80, On The Edge, Richard Shaw, Centerville, Md.; 2. S126, Lil Lectron, Joe Longo, Lake Hopatcong; 3. S53, Fast Times II, Tabatha Carr, Egg Harbor Township.
1-litre modified hydroplanes
1. Y80, Outlaw, Keith McMullen, Annapolis, Md.; 2. Y55, Pink Panther II, Courtney Stewart, Annapolis, Md.
Pro stock ski boats
1. PS9, SwipeWipes.com, Tom Richmond, Pottstown, Pa.; 2. PS201, Paul Reid, Amherst, N.Y.; 3. PS29, J&J Performance Marine, Jim Clauss, Mickleton.
1.5-litre stock hydroplanes
1. T35, TM Special, Bobby Kennedy, Grasonville, Md.; 2. T36, Ed Thompson, Baltimore; 3. T125, Ciara McClure, Marcus Hook, Pa.