1) Skato with Kato. The now-famous Kato the dog hopes for another big turnout at the hugely popular Skato with Kato, a super fun skate competition for all ages that benefits the Humane Society of Ocean City. With live music by The Sheckies, plus the Ocean City Band, this is the fourth year for this cool event, which takes place 4-8 p.m. Friday. Skato will also include Bathe to Save, which will be on site with its big blue dog-washing truck. Get your pooch cleaned up for a donation to HSOC. If you want to skate, there is a $20 registration fee with the competition beginning at 5:40 p.m. The fun happens at the O.C Skatepark, 5th and West in Ocean City. Go to Facebook.com for more.
2) A weekend down on the farm. Head to LeGates Farm on Saturday and Sunday when they host Beacon Animal Rescue for a weekend on the farm. LeGates’ famous farmer’s market will still take place on Saturday with all of its amazing produce, as will is great flea market on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days. Beacon will be there with adoptable dogs and awesome swag to take home. The farmer’s and flea markets last through Columbus Day. LeGates is at 3400 Bayshore Road in Cape May Court House. Find Beacon on Facebook for more.
3) Christmas in July cruise. Join the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in celebrating Christmas in July from 7:30-9:30 p.m., July 25. Enjoy a sunset boat cruise courtesy of Atlantic City Cruises that includes food, dancing and an incredible sunset view at 8:17 p.m. A cash bar available. Tickets are $25 for adults (ages 16+), $12 for children (ages 2-15), and free for kids 4 and under. Book now as only 100 tickets are available. All proceeds go towards the MMSC’s animal rescue efforts. Board at Gardner’s Basin, 800 N. New Hampshire Ave. in A.C. Go to MMSC.org for more.
4) Agents for Adoption. The Humane Society of Atlantic County is hosting a Father’s Day adoption event sponsored by Remax Platinum Properties 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, June 16. Adopt this day and Remax will sponsor some of adoption fees. There will also be a food truck and the chance to meet Cecil the tortoise. It all takes place at 1401 Abescon Ave. in Atlantic City. Go to HumaneSocietyAC.org for more.
5) Art auctions. In support of Cape May County Animal Shelter and Adoption Center, Ocean Galleries will have two pieces of artwork from their upcoming June exhibits up for auction: a classic Mackenzie Thorpe print, “Sweetheart of Mine,” and a cat-themed Dr. Seuss “surprise” print. Both will be custom framed by Ocean Galleries and auctioned to raise money for the Center’s Animal Shelter Trust Fund, with 100% of the proceeds going directly toward the care and comfort of animals. The Animal Shelter fundraiser kicks off 7 p.m. Friday, June 14, at “The Cat Behind the Hat! — The Art of Dr. Seuss” opening reception, when the silent (Seuss) and live (Thorpe) auctions artwork will be on display. The silent auction for the Dr. Seuss graphic will open on June 14 and continue to June 23. The fundraiser continues through the following weekend, when Ocean Galleries welcomes the “Mackenzie Thorpe – 30 Years of Love” exhibit taking place Friday, June 21 through Sunday, June 23. One of today’s most collected and sought-after artists, iconic British artist Mackenzie Thorpe is making his first appearance in New Jersey, bringing with him an outstanding collection of pastels, sculptures, and limited edition prints. On June 23, Thorpe will join Ocean Galleries in hosting a special Sunday brunch from noon to 1 p.m. where “Sweetheart of Mine” will be up for grabs in a live auction. Stone Harbor Mayor Judy Davies Dunhour, who also serves as shelter director at Cape May County Animal Shelter, will be the guest auctioneer at 12:45 PM. The silent auction of the Dr. Seuss print will close at 12:45 PM as well, with Mayor Davies announcing the winners. Ocean Galleries is located at 9618 Third Ave. in Stone Harbor. Go to OceanGalleries.com. Cape May County Animal Shelter and Adoption Center is at 110 Shelter Road in Cape May County House. Call 609-465-8923 for more.
— Pamela Dollak