Bargaintown Saw Mill

This water powered saw mill was built by James Somers (1695-1761) and had several owners through the years. It was still in operation in the early 1900s and run by Daniel S. Collins. Notice the narrow lane to the left of the mill and the distant grist mill. The lane is now Central Avenue, which connects Linwood and the Bargaintown section of Egg Harbor Township. Both mills are no longer standing today.

Welcome to History Notes, our weekly feature that looks at Egg Harbor Township history. Each week we get a chance to learn or reminisce courtesy of Lynn Wood of the Greate Egg Harbour Township Historical Society, who shares early photos of places in Egg Harbor Township with our readers.

This water powered saw mill was built by James Somers (1695-1761) and had several owners through the years. It was still in operation in the early 1900s and run by Daniel S. Collins. Notice the narrow lane to the left of the mill and the distant grist mill. The lane is now Central Avenue, which connects Linwood and the Bargaintown section of Egg Harbor Township. Both mills are no longer standing today.

Upcoming Events

The next event for the Greate Egg Harbour Township Historical Society will be 7  p.m. Friday, March 6. It will be An Evening of Pure Irish, including Irish dancers, a band and bagpipers. Free refreshments will be served. The suggested donation is $2. GEHTHS members and students enter free.

The event will be held in the large auditorium of the Egg Harbor Township Community Center, 5045 English Creek Road.

The museum is open every Sunday from 1-3 or by appointment. 609-813-2002

See GEHTHSMuseum.org, or on Facebook at Greate Egg Harbour Township Historical Society Museum.

Load comments