Welcome to History Notes, our weekly feature that looks at Egg Harbor Township history. Each week we get a chance to learn or reminisce courtesy of Lynn Wood of the Greate Egg Harbour Township Historical Society, who shares early photos of places in Egg Harbor Township with our readers.
This photo was taken in the late 1940s on the Dix farm on Steelmanville Road in the Steelmanville section of the township. The little girl above the cab of the truck is Carol Harding (married name Caruso), who went on to teach second grade in the Egg Harbor Township school system for more than forty years. Her mother was Ruth Harding (maiden name Dix).
Thomas Dix ran this truck farm for many years. Truckloads of produce were sent to wholesale and retail businesses during the growing seasons.
The next event for the Great Egg Harbour Township Historial Society will be 7 p.m. March 8 with “An Evening of Pure Irish,” The Irish Celli Band, Irish dancers and bagpipers.
The event will take place at the Egg Harbor Township Community Center, 5045 English Creek Road.
New hours: The Greate Egg Harbor Township Historical Society Museum/Library is open to the public 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturdays and 1 to 3 p.m. every Sunday, or by appointment. The address for the museum/library is 6647 West Jersey Ave. in Egg Harbor Township. The museum is always looking for early photos of the township. Please call 609-601-1223 or 609-335-3313 with any questions.