Welcome to Historic Galloway, The Current’s weekly feature that looks back through Galloway Township history. Each week we get a chance to learn or reminisce courtesy of Sarah Snow, librarian for the Galloway Township Historical Society, who shares information and early photos online and in print.
This saw mill stood on Main Street in Port Republic from about 1915 until the mid-1950s. It was owned and operated by Joseph Cake Brown (1867-1946) and after him, by his son John.
This latter-day lumber mill was not powered by water — an electric engine was used to saw the peeled logs. Many local residents would use a car to drag in a harvested tree and have it milled into lumber.