A3 A3
Crime
New indictment adds charges for woman accused of Ventnor double homicide

MAYS LANDING — The Ventnor woman charged last summer in the fatal nightstick killing and robbery of her mother and grandmother was indicted on additional charges last week.

Heather Barbera, 42, was indicted on two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of first-degree murder during the commission of a crime, three counts of first-degree armed robbery, one count of third-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and one count of third-degree credit card theft, court records show.

The Press of Atlantic City has reached out to Barbera’s lawyer for comment.

An Atlantic County grand jury handed down the superseding indictment Oct. 3. She was first indicted Oct. 17, 2018, on two counts of first-degree murder, third-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and first-degree robbery by inflicting bodily injury.

Barbera is scheduled to appear for a post-indictment arraignment Wednesday morning in Atlantic County Superior Court.

Conviction of a first-degree crime carries a sentence of 10 to 20 years in prison.

During a case review last month, Chief Assistant Prosecutor Anne Crater said the state planned to re-present the case to a grand jury to include a felony murder charge — stemming from the robbery and murder charges already indicted — and would “also include particular modes of theft that are included in the robbery, as well as related charges.”

A felony murder charge is applied when someone dies during the commission of a crime.

Prosecutors allege Barbera beat Elaine Rosen, 87, and Rosen’s daughter, Michelle Gordon, 67, to death before robbing them July 8, 2018, inside a condominium at the Vassar Square Arms complex in Ventnor.

For both victims, the cause of death was multiple blunt-impact injuries and the manner of death was homicide, Atlantic County Prosecutor Damon G. Tyner said at the time.

Barbera was arrested by New York City police July 11, 2018, at the Midtown Manhattan Port Authority and was held in the Rose M. Singer women’s facility on Rikers Island before she was extradited to Atlantic County the following month.

A case review is tentatively scheduled for Oct. 31, followed by a Nov. 12 start date for her trial.


Crime
Trial pushed back again for Bridgeton men charged in 9-year-old's murder

BRIDGETON — The trial of four city men charged in the 2018 fatal shooting of a 9-year-old girl has been pushed back a second time.

Court records show the trial, previously slated to begin this week in Cumberland County Superior Court, has been rescheduled for Nov. 15 before Judge Cristen D’Arrigo.

Charles Gamble, 18, of Clarke Road; Michael L. Elliot, 26, of North Laurel Street; Leroy Frazier III, 20, of Irving Avenue; and Zahmere McKoy, 19, of Atlantic Street, have all pleaded not guilty.

This is the second time the trial has been pushed back; it was first scheduled to begin Sept. 23.

All four men were indicted in December on charges including conspiracy to commit murder, attempted murder and weapons offenses in the July 17, 2018, shooting in which a bullet pierced the wall of Jennifer Trejo’s bedroom in her home at Elmer and Church streets and struck her as she slept.

If convicted, all four men could face life in prison.

Elliot, Frazier and Gamble were arrested and charged Aug. 24, 2018, while McKoy was charged Aug. 29, 2018. They are all being held in the Cumberland County jail.