CAMDEN — A federal judge dismissed a lawsuit against Atlantic City and several of its police officers filed in response to the 2012 shooting death of resort resident Derreck Mack.

Mack’s mother, Ruby Conde, filed the lawsuit after police shot and killed her son Dec. 17, 2012, near the Stanley Holmes Village apartment complex in Atlantic City.

At 2 p.m. that day, police were called to a report of two armed men at Stanley Holmes. As the two men tried to run, officers ordered them to stop and drop their handguns, according to press reports.

Calls for comment to the Atlantic City Police Department and the lawyer representing Mack’s family were not returned Thursday.

Police say Terry Davis, then 24, of Atlantic City, dropped his gun and was arrested.

Mack, who was 18, ran away from police.

The police chase ended on the 200 block of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard when an officer fired several shots that hit Mack, who police said began to pull out a gun.

A grand jury declined to indict the police officer, John Smith.

In a civil lawsuit, Conde claimed her son was unarmed and was shot in the back as he attempted to surrender to police. The suit also claims Mack was not given proper medical attention, contributing to his death.

“At this point, while (Mack) was surrendering, (the officer) fired his service weapon at (Mack), striking (him) twice in his upper and mid left back,” the lawsuit read. “The defendant officers then handcuffed (Mack) and left him in a prone position.”

The officers left Mack on the ground for “several minutes, prone, handcuffed and bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds, before anyone, including the defendant officers, attempted to provide (Mack) with medical assistance,” the lawsuit says.

The federal judge, Joseph Rodriguez, said in a 24-page summary released Tuesday that the lawsuit did not accurately depict the incident.

Federal authorities investigating a drug-trafficking ring tied to the Dirty Blok gang called police to the Stanley Holmes complex that day.

Davis, the suspect who dropped his gun, was convicted as one of 33 people tied to the gang. During that trial, the jury was shown surveillance video that appeared to show Mack pulling for a gun in his waistband, according to the summary.

The judge said Smith’s actions were reasonable and noted officers in these kinds of circumstances must make a decision in seconds.

The summary also stated that there was a call for an ambulance one minute after the shooting. There was nothing different the officers could have done that would have kept Mack alive, it said.

Never miss breaking news as it happens! Sign up now to receive alerts delivered to your inbox.

Contact: 609-272-7209 Twitter @ACPressSchweder

Contact: 609-272-7260 Twitter @ACPressDeRosier

I joined The Press in January 2016 after graduating from Penn State in December 2015. I was the sports editor for The Daily Collegian on campus which covered all 31 varsity sports and several club sports.

Recommended for you

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Soon we will no longer integrate with Facebook for story comments. The commenting option is not going away, however, readers will need to register for a FREE site account to continue sharing their thoughts and feedback on stories. If you already have an account (i.e. current subscribers, posting in obituary guestbooks, for submitting community events), you may use that login, otherwise, you will be prompted to create a new account.