Jury reaches guilty verdict in Vadell shooting case

Martel D. Chisolm, center, 31, of Millville, is handcuffed after he was found guilty of attempted murder and other charges in the 2016 shooting of Atlantic City police Officer Josh Vadell. To the right of Chisholm is Demetris Cross, 30, of Bridgeton, also found guilty in the case.

MAYS LANDING — The sentencings for two Cumberland County men found guilty of attempted murder in the September 2016 shooting of now-former Atlantic City police Officer Josh Vadell have been postponed.

Demetris Cross, 30, of Bridgeton, and Martel D. Chisolm, 31, of Millville, were scheduled to appear for sentencing at 9 a.m. Thursday before Judge John R. Rauh in Atlantic County Superior Court, but both sentencings were rescheduled to Nov. 13.

Donna Weaver, spokeswoman for the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office, said the sentencings were postponed because a defense attorney was unavailable. Neither Robin Lord nor Brad Wertheimer, attorneys for Chisolm and Cross, respectively, returned a request for comment.

A jury returned the guilty verdict June 22 after three days of deliberation. Cross and Chisolm also were found guilty of aggravated assault, robbery, obstruction, resisting arrest and conspiracy to commit aggravated assault and robbery. They were found not guilty of unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, and conspiracy to commit and possess same.

Both men could face as many as 20 years in prison for each first-degree crime conviction and as many as 10 years for each second-degree conviction.

The charges stem from an early morning response to an armed robbery Sept. 3, 2016, when Vadell and his partner, now-Detective Thomas McCabe, pulled up in their patrol car to Arkansas Avenue in Atlantic City. Vadell was shot in the head and spent weeks in the hospital, underwent intense rehabilitation to relearn basic motor skills and retired from the Police Department at age 30 as a result of his wounds.

The shooter, Jerome Damon, 25, of Camden, fled after McCabe returned fire. Damon was found dead about a block and a half away, and McCabe was later cleared in Damon’s death.

The trial and deliberations lasted more than two weeks and included testimony from experts, the victims from the incident, as well as Vadell and McCabe.

Contact: 609-272-7241 Mbilinski@pressofac.com Twitter @ACPressMollyB

Staff Writer

My beat is public safety, following police and crime. I started in January 2018 here at the Press covering Egg Harbor and Galloway townships. Before that, I worked at the Reading Eagle in Reading, Pa., covering crime and writing obituaries.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Soon we will no longer integrate with Facebook for story comments. The commenting option is not going away, however, readers will need to register for a FREE site account to continue sharing their thoughts and feedback on stories. If you already have an account (i.e. current subscribers, posting in obituary guestbooks, for submitting community events), you may use that login, otherwise, you will be prompted to create a new account.

Load comments