Three gas company employees suffered burns and multiple fire crews were called to the scene of a natural gas leak that caught fire Thursday afternoon in North Wildwood.
At about 4:30 p.m., firefighters responded to the 400 block of East 24th Street after a contractor reported striking a 2-inch high-pressure natural gas line.
North Wildwood Fire Chief Dominick McClain said as South Jersey Gas employees attempted to repair the leak, either the equipment or the rocks around the pipe touched off a fire that shot flames 10 feet into the air.
Three South Jersey Gas employees were injured, suffering superficial and first-degree burns to their faces, McClain said.
He said they were treated and released at the scene by EMS and continued work on the leak.
McClain said an “all hands” call was made, bringing in the Wildwood, Wildwood Crest, West Wildwood, Stone Harbor and Rio Grande fire departments, as well as Stone Harbor and Rio Grande EMS.
Fire crews evacuated the area, including neighboring condominiums and the Boardwalk block.
McClain said the fire was under control at 7:10 p.m. and fire crews cleared the scene by 8:30 p.m.
South Jersey Gas said the leak was temporarily controlled until crews can further repair it, McClain said.