Incumbent U.S. Rep. Frank Lobiondo (R) and David Cole (D) will appear on the ballot for New Jersey’s 2nd Congressional District, which covers all of Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland and Salem counties and part of Ocean, Burlington, Camden and Gloucester counties. LoBiondo had a 26-point lead in the race according to the latest Stockton University poll.
Cole, 31, was born in Camden and attended Rutgers University. One of his biggest priorities is getting the South Jersey economy going again in the wake of casino closings in Atlantic City and the announced 2017 closing of the Progresso plant in Cumberland County.
1. Abortion: Cole is pro-choice.
2. Taxes: Cole supports raising taxes on the wealthy.
3. Energy: Cole is against the Keystone XL Pipeline and favors regulations on fracking.
4. Health care: Cole is against repealing the Affordable Care Act and favors voluntary Medicare buy-ins.
5. Guns: Cole supports gun-control measures such as a ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.
6. Gay marriage: Cole supports gay marriage and extending federal non-discrimination laws to include sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.
7. Minimum wage: Cole supports raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour.
LoBiondo, 70, has served in Congress since 1995 and sits on the Committee on Armed Services, Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, and the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. He has worked with Democratic Sen. Cory Booker to bring the new F-35 fighter jets to the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard at Atlantic City International Airport in Egg Harbor Township.
1. Abortion: LoBiondo is pro-life except in the case of rape or danger to the mother.
2. Taxes: LoBiondo has voted for tax-relief measures and simplifying the tax code.
3. Energy: LoBiondo supports the Keystone XL Pipeline and favors speeding up the permitting process for fracking and natural gas pipelines.
4. Health care: LoBiondo is in favor of repealing the Affordable Care Act.
5. Guns: LoBiondo has voted against gun-control measures and is endorsed by the NRA.
6. Gay marriage: LoBiondo has voted for marriage-protection legislation.
7. Minimum wage: LoBiondo is only for an increase in the minimum wage if small businesses receive tax incentives.