Cape May Coast Guard Station

An Illinois company has been awarded a $7.6 million contract to carry out 'periodic nourishment' of the Cape May Inlet shoreline, according to a news release from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Philadelphia District.

CAPE MAY — An Illinois company was awarded $7.6 million to carry out “periodic nourishment” of the Cape May Inlet shoreline as part of an ongoing federal beach replenishment project, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said Friday.

The contract, a joint project by the Army Corps’ Philadelphia District, the Coast Guard and the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, was awarded to Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Co. of Oak Brook, Illinois. The company is expected to start work this fall.

Cape May beach replenishment

The beachfill project dates to 1991, and the area has been replenished in subsequent years. An Illinois company has been awarded a $7.6 million contract to carry out 'periodic nourishment' of the Cape May Inlet shoreline.

The project, designed to mitigate coastal storm damage, will involve dredging about 240,000 cubic yards of sand and pumping it onto Coast Guard Training Center Cape May property south of the jetty and an area between Brooklyn Avenue and northwest of Wilmington Avenue. The sand is to be taken from a “borrow area” 2.6 miles south of the jetties, according to the Army Corps.

The DEP is funding 10% of the work, and the federal government, between the Coast Guard and the Army Corps, is funding the remaining 90%.

Contact: 609-272-7260 cshaw@pressofac.com Twitter @ACPressColtShaw

Staff Writer

I cover breaking news on the digital desk. I graduated from Temple University in Dec. 2017 and joined the Press in the fall of 2018. Previously, I freelanced, covering Pennsylvania state politics and criminal justice reform.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Soon we will no longer integrate with Facebook for story comments. The commenting option is not going away, however, readers will need to register for a FREE site account to continue sharing their thoughts and feedback on stories. If you already have an account (i.e. current subscribers, posting in obituary guestbooks, for submitting community events), you may use that login, otherwise, you will be prompted to create a new account.

Load comments