Photo Credit: Alamy Stock Photo
- Share of workers in physically demanding jobs: 10.1%
- Average wage for physically demanding jobs: $41,640
- Average wage for all occupations: $51,000
- Total employment in protective services: 28,990
- Total employment in construction & extraction: 51,280
- Total employment in installation & repair: 50,920
In the Charlotte metro area, 4.2 percent of workers are employed in installation and repair occupations, which is slightly higher than the national average of 3.9 percent. A few of the region’s largest employers are Duke Energy and American Airlines, which contribute to the high percentage of jobs in installation and repair.
Among all the metros on this list, Charlotte has the greatest wage differential for those working in physically demanding jobs, with these workers making 18.4 percent less on average than workers across all occupations.