Photo Credit: Alamy Stock Photo
- Share of workers in physically demanding jobs: 10.4%
- Average wage for physically demanding jobs: $45,943
- Average wage for all occupations: $54,290
- Total employment in protective services: 70,320
- Total employment in construction & extraction: 182,530
- Total employment in installation & repair: 130,320
The metropolitan area centered around Houston, the largest city in Texas, offers above average wages for both workers in physically demanding jobs and workers across all occupations. Fueled by a high density of energy companies, the construction and extraction sector clearly dominates physically demanding jobs in the Houston-Woodlands-Sugar Land metro.
In Houston, 6.1 percent of all employees work in construction and extraction, which is significantly higher than the national proportion of 4.1 percent. Among the cities on this list, Houston also has the greatest number of workers employed in physically demanding jobs.