Photo Credit: Alamy Stock Photo
- Share of workers in physically demanding jobs: 11.1%
- Average wage for physically demanding jobs: $42,749
- Average wage for all occupations: $45,740
- Total employment in protective services: 12,470
- Total employment in construction & extraction: 23,800
- Total employment in installation & repair: 28,690
Even though 11.1 percent of jobs in the Louisville metropolitan area are categorized as physically demanding, the area’s proportion of jobs in protective services is 19.5 percent lower than the national proportion of 2.4 percent. This is made up for by a high concentration of workers in installation and repair occupations. Two of Louisville’s major employers are UPS and Ford Motor Company, both of which have a need for strenuous physical work.