Carousel Ocean icon.jpg

STAFFORD TOWNSHIP — A carbon monoxide alarm led to the evacuation of a portion of the Manahawkin Nursing & Rehabilitation Facility on Tuesday night, police said.

About 30 first-floor patients were evacuated due to high carbon monoxide readings in the basement and first floor, police said in a news release.

They were sent to Southern Ocean Medical Center or the Shore Meadow Facility in Toms River.

Police reported no injuries or complaints.

The Stafford Township Bureau of Fire Prevention is investigating along with the Ocean County fire marshal.

— Amanda Auble

Staff Writer

I report breaking news and cover the local stories at the Press's digital desk. I grew up in South Jersey and graduated from Johns Hopkins University in 2017 with a degree in English.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Soon we will no longer integrate with Facebook for story comments. The commenting option is not going away, however, readers will need to register for a FREE site account to continue sharing their thoughts and feedback on stories. If you already have an account (i.e. current subscribers, posting in obituary guestbooks, for submitting community events), you may use that login, otherwise, you will be prompted to create a new account.

Load comments