Angelis Molina

Angelis Molina, 20, of Ventnor, is in stable condition after being shot in the face during her stay in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Staff Writer

A Ventnor woman who was shot Jan. 31 in San Juan has left Puerto Pico to continue her treatment.

Angelis Molina was working as a waitress in Atlantic City when she went to San Juan for the first time to celebrate her 20th birthday Jan. 21 with a friend. After deciding to extend her stay, she was shot in the mouth Jan. 31.

She received initial treatment and surgeries in Puerto Rico for the critical injuries that left her unable to speak.

Now, her mother has reported Angelis was transported out of the U.S. territory in early April.

“She’s coming along. It’s definitely a process,” Michelle Molina said. “She’s got a bit of a ways to go, but God is carrying her. He definitely has her.”

In one of the visits she made to Puerto Rico in March, Molina said, she wasn’t comfortable with the treatment her daughter received there.

Now, she said treatment her daughter is getting has improved as she awaits more surgeries.

Puerto Rico police had started an investigation into the details surrounding what happened Jan. 31.

Requests sent to Puerto Rico’s Department of Public Safety for comment and updates on the investigation were not immediately returned.

Officials stated in February that Angelis was shot in an apartment in the Condado section of the capital with a group of people, not on the beach during the course of a robbery, as they had initially been led to believe.

One witness, Renán Colón Pujadas, gave a version of events — that the shooting took place in the course of a robbery — to police that has since been ruled out due to contradictory versions, according to the newspaper/website PrimeraHora, which also reported Pujadas had a history of giving false information to police about theft and kidnapping, after he claimed to be a victim of a robbery in July 2017.

Officials had said in March they were waiting for Angelis’ recovery so she could be interviewed, and they would be able to narrow their ongoing investigation.

Although her daughter is still unable to speak, now that she is back in the states, the word Molina keeps coming back to is “blessing.”

She is grateful for all the love and support her family has received. A GoFundMe page started in February by one of Angelis’ friends had raised $6,526 as of Sunday afternoon.

While Molina said the funds are not enough to fully cover the significant cost it took to fly her daughter home, they still hope to put the donations toward any future reconstruction and physical therapy she might need.

Contact: 609-272-7239 Twitter @AublePressofAC

Staff Writer

I report breaking news and cover the local stories at the Press's digital desk. I grew up in South Jersey and graduated from Johns Hopkins University in 2017 with a degree in English.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Soon we will no longer integrate with Facebook for story comments. The commenting option is not going away, however, readers will need to register for a FREE site account to continue sharing their thoughts and feedback on stories. If you already have an account (i.e. current subscribers, posting in obituary guestbooks, for submitting community events), you may use that login, otherwise, you will be prompted to create a new account.

Load comments