Waiting for Ten

Owner Glenn Straub has said he expects the former Revel casino and hotel in Atlantic City, now called TEN, to open in the first quarter of 2017.

ATLANTIC CITY — In the latest chapter of the former Revel saga, TEN owner Glenn Straub sued the Casino Control Commission on Tuesday, claiming the regulator is moving too slowly on one of his petitions.

Straub’s suit, filed in Atlantic County Superior Court by attorney David Stefankiewicz, claims the commission’s inaction on Straub’s petition to waive a casino license requirement for his company violates the commission’s statutory requirements.

State gaming officials have told Straub he is required to apply for a gaming license to operate a casino on the property. Straub claims that, since he is leasing the casino area to a third-party vendor, he should not be required to apply for the license.

“Mr. Straub has spent a lot of time, effort and money in trying to make Atlantic City great again,” Stefankiewicz said in a statement. “He remains ready, willing and able to open the casino. The CCC is putting Straub and his company through unnecessary red tape and delay.”

The commission has yet to be served with the lawsuit, said Daniel Heneghan, spokesman for the Casino Control Commission.

The commission received the state Division of Gaming Enforcement’s report on Straub’s casino license two weeks ago and is currently reviewing it.

“It would not be appropriate for the commission to comment on pending litigation in the media,” Heneghan said.

For the last year, Straub has claimed state agencies like the commission have delayed the opening of the more than 6-million-square-foot facility.

“This is both puzzling and disappointing considering that the future of Atlantic City is hanging by a thread and thousands of people are out of work,” Stefankiewicz said. “Instead of creating roadblock after roadblock, the agency should be doing everything in its power to facilitate getting this casino opened. Doing business here should not be this hard.”

According to the lawsuit, Straub paid the Division of Gaming Enforcement more than $78,000 for the investigative services that they provide. But in a letter to the agency, Straub said that he reserved the right to contest the amount of the billing and requested a detailed accounting of the fees and cost for the investigative services.

In August 2015, Straub bought the $2.4 billion former Revel for just $82 million in bankruptcy court.

Officials expect the property to reopen early next year. The property contains 13 restaurants, a 32,000-square-foot spa, 55,000 square feet of retail space and a parking garage with more than 7,000 spaces.

The resorts management team declined comment on the lawsuit or if it will impact the reopening of the facility. The management team has said in the past that they plan on reopening on the facility during the first quarter of next year.

Contact: 609-272-7215 CHetrick@pressofac.com Twitter @_Hetrick

Contact: 609-272-7046 NHuba@pressofac.com Twitter @ACPressHuba

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Soon we will no longer integrate with Facebook for story comments. The commenting option is not going away, however, readers will need to register for a FREE site account to continue sharing their thoughts and feedback on stories. If you already have an account (i.e. current subscribers, posting in obituary guestbooks, for submitting community events), you may use that login, otherwise, you will be prompted to create a new account.

Load comments