A look at the top performers from Atlantic County, Cape May, Cumberland and southern Ocean county schools.
Weight Class-by- Weight Class rankings
Lacey Township’s Brady Carter has emerged as one of the top freshmen in South Jersey. Carter opened his season with titles in the Collingswood and Garden State Classic tournaments. The Prep’s Ryan DeFoney finished second in the Mustang Classic, while Oakcrest’s Hunter Horsey opened the season with third-place finishes in the Nottingham Invitational and Art Marinelli tournaments.
1. Brady Carter, Lacey Township (15-0)
2. Ryan DeFoney, St. Augustine Prep (9-4)
3. Hunter Horsey, Oakcrest (10-3)
Southern Regional’s Jayson Scerbo finished second in the Hunterdon Central tournament and third at Robin Leff. Oakcrest’s Hayden Horsey opened in similar fashion, finishing second at Nottingham and third in the Marinelli.
1. Jayson Scerbo, Southern Regional (10-5)
2. Hayden Horsey, Oakcrest (8-4)
3. D’Amani Almodovar, St. Augustine Prep (5-4)
Southern’s Matt Brielmeier finished second in the Robin Leff tournament and went 3-0 Saturday as the Rams swept a quad with wins over Mt. Olive, Paramus and West Morris Central. St. Augustine Prep’s Trey McLeer and Ocean City’s Charley Cossaboone are two of the top freshmen in the Cape-Atlantic League. McLeer won three matches in the Beast of the East tournament, and Cossaboone won the Gateway Gator title.
1. Matt Brielmeier, Southern Regional (10-5)
2. Trey McLeer, St. Augustine Prep (10-5)
3. Charley Cossaboone, Ocean City (8-1)
Middle Township’s Romeo Rodriguez has been dominant. Rodriguez already has three tournament titles to his credit this season (Haddon Heights, West Orange and Palmyra) and has yet to allow an offensive point.
1. Dan Martini, St. Augustine Prep (8-5)
2. Romeo Rodriguez, Middle Township (13-0)
3. Cael Aretz, Buena Regional (3-2)
Returning state qualifier Hunter Gutierrez of Lacey won the Garden State Classic and finished second at Overbrook. Mike Albergo transferred to St. Augustine from Benedictine Prep in Virginia, where he was a state champion. Albergo finished second at the Mustang Classic. Hammonton’s Ryan Figueroa earned titles at the Pine Barrens Classic and the Overbrook Holiday tournaments.
1. Hunter Gutierrez, Lacey Township (13-2)
2. Mike Albergo, St. Augustine Prep (9-3)
3. Ryan Figueroa, Hammonton (10-1)
Southern Regional junior Robert Woodcock won the Robin Leff tournament and finished third at Hunterdon Central. Hammonton’s Andrew Mays won the Pine Barrens and Overbrook Holiday tournament titles. Egg Harbor Township’s Jack Schiavo finished second in the Marinelli.
1. Robert Woodcock, Southern Regional (8-2)
2. Andrew Mays, Hammonton (10-1)
3. Jack Schiavo, Egg Harbor Township (11-6)
The Prep’s Brett Bodnar finished third at the Mustang Classic at Brick Memorial. Southern’s Nick Pepe finished third at the Robin Leff before winning the Hunterdon Central. Holy Spirit K.J. Sherman is off to a nice start. The freshman earned Most Outstanding Wrestler honors after winning the Walter Woods tournament.
1. Brett Bodnar, St. Augustine Prep (10-4)
2. Nick Pepe, Southern Regional (13-2)
3. K.J. Sherman, Holy Spirit (14-2)
Returning state qualifier Conner Kraus of St. Augustine Prep won six matches at the Beast of the East with four pins, three coming in the first period. Egg Harbor Township’s Lorenzo Turner is 4-0 since Jan. 1 with three first-period pins. Absegami’s Nic Carrero returned from an early-season injury to earn a pair of wins.
1. Conner Kraus, St. Augustine Prep (12-4)
2. Lorenzo Turner, Egg Harbor Township (10-2)
3. Nic Carrero, Absegami (2-0)
Returning state placer Nick O’Connell of Southern Regional is 14-0 this season with titles at the Robin Leff and Hunterdon Central tournaments. The Prep’s Sal Manera finished second at the Mustang Classic at Brick Memorial. Absegami freshman Ray Weed pinned his way to the Gloucester City tournament title.
1. Nick O’Connell, Southern Regional (14-0)
2. Sal Manera, St. Augustine Prep (10-4)
3. Ray Weed, Absegami (12-2)
St. Augustine Prep’s Anthony Bevilaqua finished third at the Mustang Classic. Southern’s Haven Tatarek took third at Hunterdon Central, and Lacey Township’s Jackson Brandt won the Garden State Classic.
1. Anthony Bevilaqua, St. Augustine Prep (8-3)
2. Haven Tatarek, Southern Regional (9-4)
3. Jackson Brandt, Lacey Township (14-1)
This is easily the deepest weight class in the area this season. St. Augustine Prep’s Mike Misita and Southern’s John Stout lead the way so far. Misita won four matches with three pins at the Beast of the East and followed that with a Mustang Classic title. Stout is a perfect 14-0 and won the Robin Leff and Hunterdon Central tournament titles. Stout won a 4-3 decision against No. 3 Jaden Roberts of Buena Regional in the Leff final. Oakcrest’s Kal-El Corbett (10-2), Holy Spirit’s Conner Boal (13-4), Ocean City’s Billy Kroeger (10-2) and Lacey Township’s Quint Kearns (11-3) lead a talented group on the outside of the rankings looking in for now.
1. Mike Misita, St. Augustine Prep (13-2)
2. John Stout, Southern Regional (14-0)
3. Jaden Roberts, Buena Regional (6-2)
Oakcrest’s Keevon Berry is off to a strong start. The returning state qualifier won the Nottingham and Art Marinelli tournaments and already has a signature win against fellow state qualifier Drew Bowker of Rancocas Valley. Southern’s Ben LoParo won the Hunterdon Central tournament and finished second in the Robin Leff. Barnegat’s Charlie Cotton earned titles in the Overbrook and Garden State Classic tournaments.
1. Keevon Berry, Oakcrest (11-0)
2. Ben LoParo, Southern Regional (10-4)
3. Charlie Cotton, Barnegat (13-1)
This is the only weight class in the area featuring two unbeaten wrestlers. Hammonton’s Daniel Corrigan won the Pine Barrens and Overbrook tournaments, while Southern’s J.T. Cornelius won titles at Robin Leff and Hunterdon Central. Barnegat’s Peter Jennings finished third at the Garden State Classic and second at Overbrook.
1. Daniel Corrigan, Hammonton (11-0)
2. J.T. Cornelius, Southern Regional (14-0)
3. Peter Jennings, Barnegat (8-3)
Ocean City’s Nick Sannino finished second in the Gateway Gator and third in the Marinelli tournament. Holy Spirit’s Kurt Driscoll won the Walter Woods.
1. Nick Sannino, Ocean City (11-2)
2. Kurt Driscoll, Holy Spirit (11-3)
3. Jayden Smith, Southern Regional (6-4)