The Press’ weight-by-weight individual rankings will appear each Wednesday during the high school wrestling season. The rankings are of wrestlers from Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland and southern Ocean counties.
Southern Regional’s Conor Collins dropped a 4-3 decision to Brick Memorial’s Anthony Santaniello on Thursday in a match between two of the top freshmen in the state. Pinelands Regional freshman standout Mason Livio went 3-0 Saturday and has won 10 straight matches.
1. Conor Collins, Southern Regional (13-2)
2. Mason Livio, Pinelands Regional (12-1)
3. Kaden Naame, St. Augustine Prep (11-5)
Top-ranked D’Amani Almodovar of St. Augustine Prep won an 8-6 decision against No. 2 Sean Cowan of Absegami on Jan. 8. Almodovar went 4-0 with two pins, a technical fall and a major decision in the Virginia Duals.
1. D’Amani Almodovar, St. Augustine Prep (15-5)
2. Sean Cowan, Absegami (12-2)
3. Hunter Horsey, Oakcrest (11-2)
Oakcrest’s Hayden Horsey is 7-0 with four pins and a major decision since Jan. 1.
1. Jayson Scerbo, Southern Regional (12-3)
2. Hayden Horsey, Oakcrest (10-3)
3. Devon Bohn, Lower Cape May Regional (11-3)
Oakcrest’s David Flippen has won 11 straight matches, including four pins and two major decisions.
1. Ryan DeFoney, St. Augustine Prep (5-3)
2. David Flippen, Oakcrest (12-1)
3. Nicholas Faldetta, Egg Harbor Township (11-8)
The Prep’s Brock Zurawski went 3-1 with three major decisions at the Virginia Duals. Oakcrest’s Frank Gabriel is 7-0 with five pins and two forfeits since Jan. 1.
1. Brock Zurawski, St. Augustine Prep (15-4)
2. Matt Brielmeier, Southern Regional (8-2)
3. Frank Gabriel, Oakcrest (12-1)
Southern Regional Eddie Hummel, a state qualifier last season, won a 14-5 major decision against returning District 27 champion and state qualifier Ryan Smith of Brick Memorial on Thursday. Holy Spirit’s K.J. Sherman bumped up to 145 and pinned District 29 runner-up Travis Brown of Pinelands Regional on Jan. 7. Hammonton’s Ryan Figueroa is unbeaten and has earned bonus points in 13 of his 14 wins this season.
1. Eddie Hummel, Southern Regional (14-0)
2. K.J. Sherman, Holy Spirit (6-2)
3. Ryan Figueroa, Hammonton (14-0)
Top-ranked Jack Schiavo of Egg Harbor Township is 9-0 against Cape-Atlantic League wrestlers with eight of the nine wins coming by pin.
1. Jack Schiavo, Egg Harbor Township (13-3)
2. Cael Aretz, Buena Regional (11-4)
3. Gianni Danze, St. Augustine Prep (9-8)
Southern Regional freshman standout Cole Velardi is 6-0 with four pins since Jan. 1. St. Augustine Prep’s William Bumbernick debuts in the rankings in the No. 3 spot.
1. Cole Velardi, Southern Regional (14-1)
2. Danny DiGiovacchino, Buena Regional (12-4)
3. William Bumbernick, St. Augustine Prep (6-7)
Southern Regional’s Robert Woodcock had his 13-match winning streak to start the season snapped Thursday in a 6-4 loss to fellow returning state qualifier Joe Colon of Brick Memorial. Colon went to St. Augustine Prep last season. St. Augustine Prep’s Alex Marshall jumps from third to second. Marshall went 3-1 with a pin, a technical fall and a major decision in the Virginia Duals. Middle Township’s Karl Giulian breaks into the rankings at No. 3 after finishing second in the Buc Classic on Saturday.
1. Robert Woodcock, Southern Regional (13-1)
2. Alex Marshall, St. Augustine Prep (13-4)
3. Karl Giulian, Middle Township (6-2)
St. Joseph’s Alexi Giordano has been dominant this season, picking up bonus points in 15 of his 16 wins. Absegami’s George Rhodes has won nine straight matches with five pins and a technical fall during the run.
1. Jackson Brandt, Lacey Township (14-2)
2. Alexi Giordano, St. Joseph (16-1)
3. George Rhodes, Absegami (13-3)
Southern Regional’s Ben LoParo has earned bonus points in seven of his eight wins this season with four pins. Middle’s David Giulian finished third in the Buc Classic.
1. Ben LoParo, Southern Regional (8-1)
2. Nick Marshall, St. Augustine Prep (6-4)
3. David Giulian, Middle Township (13-2)
St. Augustine Prep returning state place-winner Mike Misita went 5-0 over the past week. Misita went 4-0 with a pin, two major decisions and two forfeits in the Virginia Duals. Lacey’s Vin Ceglie is 9-0 with five pins since Jan. 1. Absegami’s Mikal Taylor went 3-0 on Saturday as the Braves wept a quad with wins against Gateway Regional, Pitman and Lower Cape May.
1. Mike Misita, St. Augustine Prep (12-2)
2. Vin Ceglie, Lacey Township (14-2)
3. Mikal Taylor, Absegami (12-4)
Buena Regional’s Tony Thompson has won 11 straight matches, earning bonus points in all 11 -- nine pins and a major decision. Southern Regional’s Gabe Murray debuts in the rankings at No. 3. Murray finished second in the Robin Leff tournament earlier this season.
1. Tony Thompson, Buena Regional (14-1)
2. Lloyd Kawei, Hammonton (11-3)
3. Gabe Murray, Southern Regional (5-2)
Southern Regional’s J.T. Cornelius has earned bonus points in 13 of his 14 wins this season with eight pins and three major decisions. Cornelius’ only loss came to defending state runner-up Kyle Jacob of Paramus. Jacob is ranked 11th in the country by InterMat. Ocean City’s Nick Sannino has been equally dominant with 12 first-period pins this season.
1. J.T. Cornelius, Southern Regional (14-1)
2. Griffin Jackstadt, Barnegat (11-1)
3. Nick Sannino, Ocean City (14-0)